Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Letter from Riley

Marionettes did something weird today.


I got a download prompt, out of nowhere, from Riley. It was for a file called "letter.pdf". I didn't think she had any control left, so I was concerned that it was another ruse from the Signal. However, I can't even begin to think of why it'd try to do something like this, so I downloaded it, and opened it. It's not like I have anything left to lose, right?

Just as it said, there was a letter. A letter from Riley. 


It was one and a half pages long. I'll copy the entire thing here:

"Penelope, this is Riley. I tried to warn you, but you didn't listen. You're not good at that, are you?

Unfortunately, you'll have to listen now, because you're the only hope we have left, now that everything's gone wrong. The Riley you talked to wasn't me. It was a fabrication of the Signal. Because of your efforts prior, it managed to get almost complete control of Marionettes, and because of your recent efforts, it managed to stabilize Station 85.

It can't start the show quite yet, though, because it doesn't have Edward; unfortunately, he's now in a compromised position, so he can't help you or me anymore. He was living, if you could call it that, in the fluctuations of Station 85. With them, he was able to make sure the receivers were never truly close to where he was, effortlessly slipping to a different layer or room as he flowed with the station. However, you stabilized the station, which means he now has to actively hide, so he can't talk to you anymore. Or Nashiko, Wyatt, or I; then again, he always seemed to talk to you to talk to us, instead of directly to us. Probably figured it would identify where we are or where he was if he tried to contact us directly. Anyways, we're going to have to do this without him. Safety comes first, after all.

There's a plan to end the Signal. You're an active transmission tower, which leaves us two options: you can die, or it can be contained. I'm guessing you'd rather not die, so we're going to have to start a delicate procedure to unravel it from your mind, and contain it. Tendrils of teeth and blood are sprouting from your cerebellum and wrapped around your hippocampus and amygdala, which has allowed it to ravage your memories, and allowed it to tap into your fears to manipulate you. I'm flattered you worry so much about me, by the way. 

This is the last chance to fix all of this. There is one good thing, though. The exploit you found in Marionettes, which freed the Signal? I can use it now, through the remote communicator I have. The fake me lied about who it was and what it wanted, but it did try to stick as close to the truth as possible, and it was right: the communicator I have gives me more privileges in Marionettes than the average user. That's because it's your old communicator, Penelope. Ain't that funny? And since you found the exploit through this, I was able to, as well. That means it can't stop me from sending you what needs to be sent. However, I need to scan physical documents from Edward's desk, which he had been preparing while you were lacking patience. I have the documents, but scanning these will take some time. Especially since the three of us have to dodge the receivers in a now fully stable station. After that, I'll be sending them to you through Marionettes, the same way I sent this. The Signal can read this, but it can't stop it, and can't tamper with the files at all.

Some of this is going to be weird. You won't always understand why you're being shown what you're being shown. However, Edward carefully prepared it, and it worked on him. It should work on you. You just gotta be patient. 

Just for the record, I'm still pissed off at you. But that doesn't matter right now. Responsibility can be doled out once this is over. For now, let's get to work, and begin Project Assembly Line.

    - Riley"

That was the letter. I briefly considered that it might be the Signal, but this is definitely Riley. Only she would insult me while telling me to help. She was a little like that even when we were on good terms. The Signal's copy was too nice. I should've noticed it then, but... well, hindsight, and all that.

Riley said that Edward was talking to her and the other two through me. That explains why he was so cryptic. He knew the others would be listening, but that means that the Signal would've been, too. He had to walk a fine line of making sure I understood what he said, making sure Riley and the others could understand what he was saying, and making sure the Signal couldn't. I feel bad for blaming him now. Something that weirds me out, though, is Riley saying "He was living, if you could call it that," which is weird to me. What was happening to Edward?

Project Assembly Line was first mentioned back when Edward first contacted me, when I was attempting to recover the image of Lily. It feels like he's been planning for this for a while. 

Lile Riley said, I'd rather not die, so I'm going to do this. Whatever this is. I need to do my part to end the Signal, after everything I've done to help it, accidentally or not. 

Just to be thorough, I emailed Edward, asking him if he was okay, and if he could see what I sent. I didn't get a response from him, just an automatic response.



It's the same as always, except for the bottom part. It now reads: "SAFETY COMES FIRST
I WILL HIDE
ONLY SILENCE
BEGIN ASSEMBLY LINE"

I guess we're on our own, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment